Wednesday, September 19

A day at the 'Royal Academy of Arts'



I spent a big part of today at the 'Royal Academy of Arts.' As I am a member I decided to go and see the three exhibitions that they have on at the moment. The 'Making History: Antiquaries in Britain 1707-2007' was amazing. One of the best exhibitions I have seen in a long time. I was very eclectic and had illustrations by George Cruickshank to a 'Diptych of Old St. Pauls' by John Gipkyn to a lock of hair removed from the tomb of Edward IV to a female skeleton found at St Brides lower Churchyard, Farrington Street.

I also saw the 'Georg Baselitz' exhibition. It wasn't really my cup of tea but there were a couple of etchings that were interesting in the 3rd room.

I then saw the 'Impressionists bt the Sea' exhibition that is in it's final weeks. Unfortunately, it was the busiest of the three exhibitions and so impossible to get a good view of any of the paintings. There were some beautiful paintings by Monet and Renoir. I did however notice that everyone in this exhibition was significantly older than me and I felt like I was being looking at as if I were a young flousie....This is neither paranoia nor age-ism!

After this I went to Covent Garden for wonder around. I went into the 'Neals Yard Dairy' shop where they sell the most amazing cheeses ever. Whenever you go in, you get accosted to try out all the different cheese. Today I must have tried at least 6 varieties...I have to say I was briefly falling for the American cheese expert, whom I bizarrely remember from the Covent Garden Food Market last month. A good knowledge of cheese is always a bonus!-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home