Sunday, November 4

The end of a sketchbook era....


....as some artist's will appreciate, your sketchbook is like your best friend. You build up a relationship with it that is built on comfort, trust, ease and familiarity. Like an old jumper that keeps you warm in the winter. I've not always been a keen sketchbook devotee, but then maybe I was always waiting for the right one to come along.

Well, I have to say, for the first time in my history as an artist, this is the sketchbook that I have bonded with the most. We first met in April 2007, a gift (men always seem to give me sketchbooks...no expensive jewellery or perfumes for me!?).

It was not until June/July that I first got fully acquainted with the new sketchbook in my life. By which time the relationship/friendship with the person who first introduced us was at an end. (I don't usually talk personal issues on the blog, but I feel that in this instance it helps to explain an artist's connection with the humble sketchbook.)

Four months later and just one page remains. Memories of trip's to the coffee house and the National Gallery, flash before my eyes. We even traveled to Italy together!

Will I ever find another sketchbook of my dreams?

P.s. If anyone knows where I can get a good sketchbook that is NOT Moleskine (I hate Moleskine's...they're so soul less!) let me know, please!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that is such a beautiful page! And I know what you mean, bonding with a sketchbook, if you've poured yourself into if for a certain segment of your life. :-)

Sarah x

8 November 2007 at 07:35:00 GMT  
Blogger Cristina Petrucci-Baker said...

Thanks m'dear....still can't find a new sketchbook, it's becoming a worry...I keep looking for spare room in this one, soon there will not be one part that is untouched! X

10 November 2007 at 21:12:00 GMT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home