Friday, January 19

'Create to Learn'



Today was the first day we met the class that we are going to be working with. And boy are they a rowdy bunch... however, I'm not worried at all! The kids were doing some illustrations of the creatures in 'James and the Giant Peach.' I was impressed at how good some of the children's drawings were. I feel that I have already learned a lot about teaching and how to approach art with children. What I find really sad is that if it was not for us teaching art on the Friday afternoons, than the children would not have any art lessons at all, this term. That would be a great shame, as I genuinely saw a lot of potential in the children. I believe that if you catch them early in their education, than art can be a great subject for kids to pursue as well as benefit the children in all other areas of their development. It's weird and annoying how generally people don't see that art is as important a subject as any other. If I had kids and they were not going to have any art lessons as part of their timetable, I would not be please at all. Ok, rant over....What made me smile was that when the kids were asked to do 'illustrations' one child shouted out "that's not art!" should I be insulted? Anyway I really feel like I'm doing something worthwhile, and that's a nice feeling to have!
Also, I found that was having a lot of ideas of my own for illustrations in class today. I had an idea about dong something with bugs myself! I just to find the time to execute all my ideas. Time is something that is in short supply for the next couple of weeks. I have a week off work from the 5th of February, and plan to spend the week catching up on art stuff.
Anyway, next week I'm going to a networking event at 'Shakespeare's Globe' on Bankside and tomorrow I should be going to a salsa club after work, which should be interesting.....ciao for now.

P.s. the weather this week has been scary. It's been a nightmare getting into London!
I hope the gale force winds don't carry on into next week!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya, just discovered this new blog - cool! (But I wish you were on Livejournal so I'd see you on my Friends Page every day!) :-)

Do you always teach at the school in New Cross Gate? If you're there, you should let me know and we could meet up for coffee at La Boulangerie, across the street from New Cross Gate station. I live literally 8 minutes away!
Sarah x

19 January 2007 at 23:18:00 GMT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home